Will the police still come out if I report domestic abuse?

If you are at risk of serious harm or if you fear your partner and what they might do, you should always call 999.

It is understandable that you might be worried about the Police’s response during this crisis. Every organisation is having to adapt to the changing circumstances; it is possible that there could be a delay to their response, but they have assured the public that they will attend domestic abuse incidents.

In many Police forces, an officer will attend the incident and then this will be followed up by a Domestic Abuse Officer. In some areas these officers may now by using phone calls rather than face to face appointments to follow up with victims of crime.

If you’ve called 999 but are unable to speak, you can cough or dial 55 once the call is connected and operators are trained to know this means you need assistance.

If you would like to talk to the Police and it isn’t an emergency dial 101.