There are some things that you should avoid doing if someone confides in you:
- Ignore the warning signs.
- Pressurise them to talk if they do not want to.
- Overreact, panic, or look shocked.
- Promise more than you can give.
- Call the abusive person names or talk negatively about them. Focus on the behaviour that is of concern.
- Imply or suggest that the abuse could be their fault.
- Tell them what to do.
- Advise them to leave the relationship. This can put them at increased risk.
- Take decisions out of their hands.