If I ring the police, do I have to go to court?

Each case is dealt with differently and largely depends on what has happened. When you report to the police, they should assess the situation and ensure the safety of you and your children. This might mean arresting and taking the perpetrator into custody. Following this, the police compile a report on what has happened – this will include any statements you make – and present this to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). The CPS will advise on whether the perpetrator is charged, offered a caution or released.

If you do need to go to court we will help you through this. We employ fully trained Independent Domestic Violence Advisors who can guide you through the whole process and ensure that you are kept up to date with what is happening. You can watch a video explaining how the IDVA can help you through the court process here.