Domestic abuse can affect your children in many different ways even if they are not directly hit or verbally abused. Many children hear or witness the abuse and this can leave them traumatised.
Common effects include:
- Anxiety and depression
- Disturbed sleeping patterns, including nightmares and flashbacks
- Physical symptoms such as stomach aches
- Bed wetting
- Temper tantrums
- Regressing into much younger than they are
- Displaying aggressive behaviour or alternatively withdrawing from people and relationships
- Low self-confidence or self-worth
Older children may also have problems with school or begin to engage in risk taking behaviours such as misusing substances, or self-harming.