Criminal law

Domestic abuse, in itself is not an offence. However, there are many offences that a person can be charged with if they are violent or abusive. If your partner has assaulted you, made threats, damaged your property or is harassing you, you should contact the police. Remember your safety is of great importance.

The police should take seriously what you tell them and should treat you with respect and fairness. Many police departments have specific Domestic Violence Officers who have extra training on domestic abuse.

If you feel that you cannot involve the police you can contact us to talk through your options or consider using civil law to get protection.